Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I called in tired today...what doesn't that count?

Today was one of those days that I was sick and tired, or sick of being tired, or tired of being sick, so I went in at 7am and left at 11.
Everyone at work has been sick for the last 2 months, literally every day at least 4 people are out. Is it my fault that I have remained healthy and therefore ended up working the longest hours, don't I deserve a break?
It's kind of like the smoking thing... smoker's get smoking breaks, it's a pretty much understood thing, every few hours (or some people every hour) they take 10-15 minutes and smoke a cigarette. As a non-smoker if I were to go out on the porch once every few hours for 10 - 15 minutes I would be seen as a slacker. In fact that happened a few years ago. My boss saw me and some of my assistants on the porch and commented on the lack of work to someone else. It was during a crunch of working 7 - midnight or later for quite a few weeks in a row and was out first day break EVER. Now if we had had cigarettes in our hands would he have said anything to anyone else? I don't think so.
Today I took a long nap, watched some old West Wings and Law and Orders and avoided all depressing news channels for at least 12 hours. I sat out in the shade, discussed the direction of the breeze with some ants, we decided there was decidedly not enough breeze ... so I came back inside.
While online I did run into some blogs over run with links to news sites and I clicked out of them faster than you could say "The world is falling apart..."
I'll plug back into reality tomorrow, if not better off than maybe just better prepared.

No comments: